Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Horizons-Keeping My Eye on the Prize

Hello!  Sometimes it is easy to get frustrated when the scale isnt moving so that is when we have to start looking at different things other than the scale.  Victories of a different kind if you will.  I find that as I get "smaller" (that still sounds funny to me!) that the weight comes off slower so I really have to look for victories in other places when the scale is not moving.  For example I can look in the mirror and see differences in my body, how my pants fit is a good guide, stamina in different activities and realizing how it wasn't all that long ago I could not have even attempted some things I do today, etc.  I feel absolutely amazing right now.  I feel as though I am in the best health of my life and for that I am truly blessed!  I have been given a second chance at life and I am grateful for that everyday!

This week I have tried some new things to get me going in the right direction.  I know that if I continue to keep my nutrition on track and continue to keep my workouts my number one focus that the scale will eventually begin to move once more.  I work at a wonderful place!  They have provided us a Zumba class and a Beginner Boot Camp at their expense for one month to see how we like it.  The instructors come to us at our workplace to do this.  I have to tell you I LOVE the zumba class and my co-workers/classmates!  It is really fun and I am feeling so good when I leave there.  I have class twice a week and tonight its on again and I can't wait!  I tried the Beginner Boot Camp for the first time on Tuesday.  I was really worried that I might not be able to do some of the things because of my arthritic knee but I surprised myself and was able to get in the floor and do the drills and I didn't overdo the knee so I left immensely proud of myself!  Boot camp is taught by a male instructor and this is the first activity that I've participated in that has a guy for the instructor.  He is very nice and I really liked the class and think that this will be the edge I need to push me into the next level.  If you are curious as to what Zumba or boot camp is all about- here are some links that describe it.  Zumba and Beginner Boot Camp


I went to Jazzercise last night and of course had a blast!  I love my classmates and the instructors there.  I also used my new gym membership on Saturday and Sunday to go swimming.  I do a variety of water aerobics, I walk against the current and with the current in the "lazy river" for warm up and resistance- 10 laps each.  Sunday I got brave and got in a lap lane and I did breaststroke and sidestroke for 5 laps back and forth and didn't get winded!  I was ecstatic because I remember when 1 lap was taxing!  I cant wait to get back to the gym and see how far I can push myself this time.  Here is a pic of my pool at North Kansas City Community Center

My knee is doing so much better.  I heard an acronym that I keep in my head in regard to keeping my knee healthy and in working order for me.  It is RICE- Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation.  The best medicine for it.  I am also using turmeric, fish oil and glucosamine for inflammation that has really helped a lot! Plus the use of the magnetic knee brace has truly been a God-send!  (Thanks Mom!)

I am using Thursday and Friday as my rest days from exercise because 1. its when I go back to work and 2. to give my knee a chance to rest before I hit it hard the rest of the week.  Rest is important so you don't overtrain.  I have done this before and it actually does way more harm than good.

Just a mention on Biggest Loser- this season has went to the drama queens but I do have to say on a positive I am happy to see Cassandra make the kind of emotional breakthrough during her workout with Bob that she did.  I have moments like this sometimes.  I have cried in Jazzercise when I realize I have pushed my body to do things that I didn't think were possible.  I cry for a variety of reasons just because I am a very emotional being. But I watch the Biggest Loser because I identify with the people on the show as they go through their journey and because it inspires me to continue on mine with renewed vigor and confidence in knowing that if these people are willing to do this in front of a national television audience then I can do this too.

So to wrap this up for this week- if you are bored with your workout, try something new.  There are all kinds of new fitness class offerings out there now.  Explore and have fun!  Go back to basics when you feel you have exhausted all your options.  When it was cold out and I couldnt make it to class on Thursday I really should have rested but I opted to do the stairs in my apartment building several times just to say I had moved for the day.  Whatever it takes, continue on, have fun and remember its about the journey not the destination!

HAVE A FANTASTIC FIT AND HEALTHY WEEK!!!!!
and as one of my jazzercise instructors said- don't think about what you have to do, just do it.  Think me-1 couch ZERO!

A couple of pic quotes to leave you with-



No comments:

Post a Comment