Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February Findings and Musings

Hello everyone!!  Happy Ash Wednesday!  Spring seems to be in the air today here in lovely Riverside.  It is 60 degrees in February.  Mildest winter I can ever remember.  So today I started out the day at Jazzercise, then made my way over to the old neighborhood to get to Mass for Ash Wednesday today.  I always call Wednesday my "Workout Wednesday", and today is no different.  I am going to take in some of this wonderful weather and take a walk in Parkville at English Landing Park.  I cannot tell you how much I miss my river park walking time.  I feel like my soul aches for that connection with nature and with God.  My body responds to the fresh air and the beauty of all the surroundings .  Then after a brisk walk I will make my way to 430pm Jazzercise, 530pm Zumba with my friends at work, get in a body sculpting class at 640pm and then a nice swim.  Its on!

I have struggled this week- a subject that none of us women wish to discuss- good ol' PMS.  It is my biggest diet sabotage and weight loss wrecker!!!  I have the strongest carbohydrate food cravings during this time and I succomb to them more than I want to.  So this week has been some major food disasters like pasta, chocolate, etc. Plus I havent worked out since Saturday (until this morning).  Because also during the dreaded PMS I get what I refer to as "Rip Van Winkle Syndrome".  I can sleep forever, I am literally so exhausted that I feel as though I am drugged.  Being in that state of exhaustion makes getting to workout nearly impossible even for someone highly motivated like me.  I read an article today that helps explain this phenomenon.  I am going to share it here with you.  For next month's bout with this I am going to use some of these tips.  Coping with PMS Food Cravings

Saturday I participated in an Aqua Boot Camp at the North Kansas City Community Center (my gym).  I really enjoyed it.  There were elements of kickboxing with different equipment used in the pool to get resistance, some water calisthenics, etc.  I enjoyed it so much that I signed up so for the next 4 weeks beginning March 3rd, I will be spending my Saturday mornings at the gym getting my swim on. Aqua Boot Camp   I am also getting ready to begin this year's session of Ballet Body from Jazzercise too!  I cant wait because I get to break out the ballet slippers yet again!!!!


I also forgot to mention in my last blog that a picture of me from the Groundhog Run was featured in my workplace employee newsletter back on February 10th.  I was so excited!  I love having my pic taken but to be publicized is even better.  Anything that shines spotlight on how wonderful I feel and the journey I am taking is AWESOME in my book!!

 I also recently traded in my work uniform shirts for smaller ones- they fit snug and exact but this is the way I get the best results.  I see my blouses getting looser and looser and its an awesome gauge to see where my weight loss is going.  Also, it keeps me from going overboard with eating because I dont want to look ridiculous or worse yet have to go back up in size.  I anticipate in 5-10 lbs. these shirts will look perfect.

Also at work we are starting our annual weight loss challenge on Monday.  This will give me a new kick in the rear to get going on my goal.  May is coming and I am feeling good that I will get to goal by my 40th birthday.  I know I have shared my list of things to do in my 40th year but I have a couple of additions.  1.  get to Omaha and meet my cousins, 2. get to Cleveland and see my cousins, 3. get to hike up Mount Rushmore, 4. ride a motorcycle, 5. go trail riding on horseback, 6. get to my ancestral homeland in San Teodoro, Messina, Sicily, 7. see and enjoy as many concerts as I can this year and 8. to participate in at least 10 races this year.  These are the biggies.  I heard that dreams are goals without a plan so now I need to plan!


Anyhow, my next race looks like the St. Pat's Westport 4 mile walk in March and the 4 mile Trolley Run at the Country Club Plaza in April.  I have a good friend who is organizing a walk for Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome Awareness in May and I am putting a link here for anyone who lives in the Kansas City Area who may be interested in participating or if you are interested in donating to the cause.  Promise Walk

Ok, I had something funny happen to me this week BUT it was a significant moment for me I want to share with you.  I had the pleasure of chatting with a couple of guys and one of them happens to be very attractive, muscular build, and the best thing of all he is nice and intelligent.  We were just chatting about different things and when I was getting ready to leave to go on to my next assignment, I came right out and told him "if you were available I would so date you because I find you extremely attractive".  CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???  I can't.  If someone would have told me that I would have had the courage to say that to a guy even 6 months ago I would have told them they were crazy so this is monumental. It means my self confidence is rising with each pound I lose.  And if I can say this to someone, I can do it again and again.  Coolness!!!

I also wanted to share a couple of links to good websites based on fitness, motivation, and healthy living.  I am a believer in keeping motivational magazines around the house so I dont lose focus, checking out websites and keeping informed, etc.  Check these out!  Spry Living by Lisa Delaney Author of Secrets of a Former Fat Girl   Sparkpeople Live Big with Ali Vincent

Decided to give The Biggest Loser one more shot last night and even though there was drama it did help me feel inspired to get off the couch and that is key for me.  I liked hearing Cassandra express her feelings from her journaling.  Feeling the contestants struggle is how most connect with the show.  I havent watched in about two or three weeks being busy with workouts so I could definitely see a visible difference in the contestants and they are making progress.  SO that means I need to keep progressing too! 

Since being back at Weight Watchers in January I have lost 7.8lbs.  The scale is moving.  I will definitely keep you all updated.  PMS may have set me back but it wont win.  Have a wonderful week!!  I am off to the park because even though I love the internet as much as others, real life is more exciting!!! Until we blog again!
 YOU GOT THIS!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment