Thursday, June 2, 2011

Catch Up!!

"If a girl has curviness, exciting lips, and a certain breathlessness it helps.  And it won't do a bit of harm if she also has a kittenish soft and cuddly quality."-  Jayne Mansfield

Me at my park in Riverside on Memorial Day weekend in my size 18 capri pants :)
It has been a long two weeks since I have been on here!!! I love blogging so I have a TON to share today! This may seem like a journal because I kept notes so I wouldn't forget all the things I wanted to share with you- pretty clever, huh?

Mondays I don't do much but sleep but on Monday the 23rd I went to Jazzercise for two hours that evening and then that evening I went to the park to walk with my friend Terisa.  It turned out to be a very active day and it made me feel really good.  That night I cooked my eggplant I had bought on Saturday from the City Farmer's Market.  It came out so good!  I used a parmesan, basil and garlic mix I bought at the City Market also and used egg whites and coated the eggplant then dipped it in the mix and used extra light olive oil in the skillet to brown it and topped it with a basil/garlic sauce and light mozzarella cheese.  YUM!  I love getting in the kitchen and cooking- not all the time but on my days off it becomes a pleasurable activity.

The next day,  I went into work to trade a uniform blouse and get a button put on one and when I was finished an amazing thing happened to me!  Walking by the employee cafeteria, I saw people that I don't normally see because I work overnight and they work during the daytime.  Anyhow, I stopped to talk to two girls I know and at the table next to them was someone I worked with in my previous position.  She has not seen me since October of last year.  Her mouth dropped open- gaping literally!! :) She said, " I cannot believe it!  You look great!"  "I feel like I am talking to a stranger."  She really was genuinely awestruck and it was the absolute BEST feeling in the world!!!  That is the first time that someone didn't recognize me due to my weight loss and that their shock at my appearance was so drastic! That same day I had errands to run but still got some good reading time in.  I finished reading my Stella Ellis "Size Sexy" book and it was amazing and I also finished my Carnie Wilson book "Gut Feelings".  Terisa and I would have walked but we got some heavy duty rainstorms here so it was shelved for the day.  I did get to my boxing class and I felt like I did pretty well.  I was excited to finally get some burn on my arms- my nemesis spot!!!

On Wednesday, I went with my friend Jason to the local Corner Cafe and gave in and had fried chicken and mashed potatoes.  Ugh!  It went downhill from there for the week.  On May 28th, my cousin had a baby shower at her aunt's home in a nearby suburb. I got to go for a little bit and took some great pictures.  She is expecting a boy before the end of this month.  She ALWAYS closes her eyes in any pics I have with her.  It was fun but these types of occasions always have lots of snack food, cake, etc. and this one was no different.  So needless to say I wasn't too happy that I had indulged in too much cake. The very next day was our family Memorial Day picnic and of course there was everything you can imagine to eat.  My weakness at these events is a family recipe they call "green rice".  It is so yummy but nutritionally void.   My point in sharing this is that everyone including me has a bad week or a bad day where you feel like "hey I could have done better".  Last week was my week.  But I always have to remind myself of a quote used in the Weight Watchers meetings and that is "you can be off track at 12:00 p.m. and back on track at 12:01pm."  That means that the next minute is a new opportunity and to get back on track asap instead of beating yourself up over a few chips and chocolate cake!  So my days off rolled around again and that is what I did.  The holiday weekend was over and I took advantage of my time off to get back on track.

Me and my cousin Maria

Me and my adorable cousin Katrina on Memorial Day

Me and my cousin "Baby" Mike at the Rodriguez Family Picnic

Me and my cousin Miguel- he is a sweetheart!!
    Monday, Memorial Day proper, spent the day hiking in two of the cemeteries where my family is buried to get my flowers out and to get some walking in.  So, I parked my car in one spot and walked to the graves and paid my respects, took pictures and left flowers.  I truly love Memorial Day!  I am very tied to my ancestors so to me Memorial Day is better than Christmas.  I was late getting out there this year because of my work schedule but I was happy to see a lot of people doing the very same thing I was on Monday.  I did get some burn on in the cemeteries.  At the second one I visited I ran into my DiMarco cousins and that was a very pleasant and unexpected surprise.  For me, visiting the graves is my time to bond with my departed ancestors so bumping into live cousins was a great addition! :)  After going to the cemeteries, I met up with Terisa and we walked in Parkville at English Landing Park.  The entire trail is 3 miles so to switch it up we went there and walked.  So I felt accomplished that I at least got exercise in on Monday! :)

My grandparents grave at Mt. St. Mary's Cemetery





Me on the bridge that overlooks the river on the trail
 Tuesdays are usually my best exercise day because I can devote so much more time to it.  I started out Tuesday afternoon and got into my swimming pool and it was simply freezing but I braved it and got into it.  I got to swim for the first time this summer in my brand new $15.00 bargain swimsuit that was an amazing size 16/18!!  I do my own version of water aerobics and run laps in the pool.  I did this for an hour and came out with a beautiful golden brown color on my chest and back complete with my swimsuit tan lines.  I was happy to be enjoying such a wonderfully sunny day at my pool!!!  Then I went to my boxing class and had a hard, sweating, beat me to a pulp workout. But strangely I was energized after that and called Terisa and we met at the park in Riverside and went walking our 3 miles.  Tuesday workout day was awesome.  I am back.  That night I met up with a friend for dinner and we were talking and another mutual friend called on the phone and basically I was told how finding a man or a date for me presents a certain challenge due to the fact that I am a "hard sell" because of my age and my ego... really??? This made me so mad that I used my aggravation to motivate me and push me even harder.  Today I got up and went to a morning Jazzercise class and then met up in the park for a 3 miler this afternoon and then went back to Jazzercise tonight.  I have a new goal and deadline in mind for my next milestone so be sure to watch there will be lots of pics, and now I am going to video too.

I took my friend Jason to the grocery store today and I bought a fresh wild caught walleye fillet and that is what I had for dinner tonight and it was so good!  We had a great salad bar for lunch today too!  People are not perfect and life is constant so there will always be an occasion with cake or snacks.  I have learned that you don't deprive yourself of anything you just have to be accountable for it and do what is necessary to burn those calories.  I have also learned that you don't sabotage yourself by beating yourself up over that cake, or fried chicken or "green rice".  You get back on track asap and move forward.  Its not - oh well I blew it today so I will eat everything I want today and start tomorrow.  This mentality is what causes us to continue to be on the hamster wheel known as dieting and it does NOT work!! Accountability, Acceptance, Exercise and Positive Mental Attitude are a winning combination to keep going past a trouble spot in your new lifestyle.  I had to remind myself of all of these things this week and now its "up and on".

I will close with a quote from Carnie Wilson's book "Gut Feelings"-

"I am a work in progress with many issues to resolve.  But where I once felt cursed, now I feel blessed.  I've got a handle on my health, I've found the love of my life, and I am excited for what is ahead." 

So Meatloaf says "two out of three ain't bad"  :) 

Have a phenomenal week and until next time- get out there and enjoy your life and do something fabulous for your body today and everyday!  Thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment